Skip to Main Content



How to Become a Participating Landlord

1. Find a tenant: A tenant may approach you with a Voucher or you can list your available unit/s for our tenants to view (see Go Section8 below).

2. Approve a tenant: Even though a family is determined by WCHA to be eligible for the program, landlords should then conduct their own tenant screening process and follow the same legal, non-discriminatory procedures they would use for any non-assisted applicant applying to rent their property. WCHA knows that the owner has approved the family when the moving packet (RFTA, Request for Tenancy Approval) is submitted to our office. A tenant that is eligible to move will have the packet available for the owner.

3. Tenancy and Unit Approval by WCHA: After the moving packet has been received and processed, WCHA needs to perform a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection. If the unit does not pass inspection, a reasonable time will be given to make the required repairs.

4. Contracts and Leases: Once a unit passes the HQS inspection and meets program requirements, the tenancy can be approved. The owner and tenant will then enter into a lease together and the WCHA will enter into a Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) contract with the owner. After the HAP contract and lease are signed, the WCHA will make payments to the owner as long as the family continues to meet eligibility criteria and the housing unit qualifies under the program regulations.

GoSection8 information:
List your unit for free on the GoSection8 website. It is a popular site visited by voucher holders searching for landlords that accept vouchers. WCHA does not steer families to specific owners or rental units. Landlord sign up page